One of our consultant learning session on the topic of video trends in marketing. Richard Weston-Smith of Brainstorm Creative, a creative storytelling agency out of Los Angeles and London, was our featured speaker. During the session he discussed the effectiveness of video, current trends in video and what makes a "great" video. Included in this post are some key takeaways from his presentation.
The Effectiveness of Video
Westin-Smith pulled some key stats for his presentation that really caught our eye. Here are a few mind-boggling facts about just how effective video can be as part of your marketing strategy and why it has become mission-critical for many marketing departments:
- Google loves video! Utilizing video on your website increases the chances of a Google front-page search result by 53x.
- Including video in your marketing emails doubles the click-through rate.
- Our brains process visuals 60,000 times faster than text.
By 2019 80% of online traffic is projected to be video. After seeing some of these stats, it makes sense that 74% of B2B marketers say it converts better than any other medium. In addition, consumers are 64% more likely to make a buying decision after watching a video. So how can you integrate video in to your marketing strategy?
Trending Types of Video in Marketing
- Branded content is the oldest and most used type of video used in marketing. Westin-Smith describes branded content as entertainment with brand messaging built-in. This type of video has evolved greatly as companies have employed more creative ways to portray their brand's story.
- Moving backgrounds have become increasingly popular because they grab the attention of the audience immediately when they land on a company's website. Moving backgrounds or videos in the background of web pages also provide additional SEO benefits.
- Animated GIF's have also gained popularity because they cater to the decreasing attention span of our audiences. On average we hold our audiences undivided attention for about 8.5 seconds.
- Live stream social has also gained popularity with tools like Periscope and Facebook live. These tools are almost a cross between a talk show and a webinar. 44% of executives had a live-streaming event of some kind in 2015.
Making GREAT Videos
Surprise. Inform. Inspire.
That's Brainstorm Creative's tagline. This is the approach they take to creating great videos. Surprise your audience with your out-of-the-box approach to telling your story. Be bold, engaging and use humor to get your message across, or "inform" your audience. Using humor can be a great way to capture your audience's attention - speak their language to connect with them on a personal level. Your audience doesn't want to hear your corporate messaging - they want to understand how your company can help them achieve their personal goals. Then use that great storytelling to inspire your audience to take an action.